Hello everybody! I hope you are all doing well (and for those in the Edmonton area, I hope you're enjoying the snow...teeheehee). As I'm sure some of you know, the Oilers missed the playoffs over last week. I'm kind of upset about it, but also not too upset, because if they had made it to the playoffs I would have stressed out so much here if I wasn't able to watch the games :P
Anyways, I thought I'd update you all on how things are going here. As you know, I received my debit card in the mail last week, and today we met with the carpenters to buy materials for the desks. We have decided that we are going to make 100 two-seater desks for the schools in Saikeri and Olmaroroi. I'm expecting the costs of the desk to be roughly $30/desk once labour and transportation are taken into account - however we still have to discuss some things with the carpenters. Both schools have (and are in the process of) building new classrooms to help deal with the huge number of students in some of the classes. In Saikeri, one of the classes has over 60 students. They're going to be splitting this one in half when classes resume in May. They recently finished building a classroom, and were just working on getting desks - which we are now providing. I can't speak for Dustin, but I'm sure he feels the same way - when I say that we're extremely happy with the response we've received from all of you back home. You've been extremely supportive (both financially and otherwise) and have helped us accomplish a lot while we've been here.
The carpenters guess it will take us between 2-3 weeks to complete all the desks. During that time, Virginia has hired a couple of workers to clear the area behind her manyatta where the new classroom is going to be built. The Rohit Group of Edmonton has donated $5000 for the project I came up with. I have big ideas for this project, and I hope that it will fulfill my hopes in the long-run. I have long-term ideas for this project (3-5 years), and I hope that in a year or so we'll be able to see quantifiable progress. I'm still working on all the details as to how I want the project to be run, but I will keep you updated on everything as I go along - however, we're expecting to be doing a lot of work for the next month or so, so I probably won't be able to get on the internet as often as I have been.
Oh, also on the Kimuka Primary school front, we have been told that the Deputy Headmaster has been transferred! Yah! He was the douchey type guy who would walk around with his cane and beat students periodically. Yeah, he's gone. We're extremely excited for the school, and hope that it will help bring Kimuka's reputation back up.
Before I sign off, I want to give special thanks to a few people who have really helped with things here: Firstly, my parents have been extremely support - both financially and otherwise. They helped me financially before I left, which really took a huge burden off of me. Also, my brother and sister-in-law were similarly awesome. They offered (last year in the summer) to pay for all of my flights. I literally would not be here in Kenya if it were not for them. My sister has also been extremely helpful. She's been taking care of all the donations for me in Canada, which I greatly appreciate. I also want to thank my Masi and Uncle from Victoria, my cousins Mike and Sharon, and my girlfriend's parents Barbara Jean and George, who have all donated $500 each. I also want to thank The Rohit Group, who believed enough in me and my proposal to shell out $5000 for the project here. I will not disappoint you. I want to also thank all the other people who have given money to the projects here. Whether your donation was $1 or $100, I don't think you can know how much it is appreciated here. I am extremely grateful to you all. Thank you all so much. Finally, I want to thank my girlfriend, Jess. Thanks hun. I love you.
Okay, well that's all for me. I don't know when I'll be back to update some more, but I will try to get in at least once a week for the next month to update you on the progress with the desks and the MEAC/Rohit Group Development Project.